Friday, July 29, 2016

Reflecting on Ten Years of Marriage


Today is my 10th wedding anniversary! It doesn't seem like long at all but quite a bit has happened in that time:
  • Moved to GA
  • Started a new job
  • Bought our first house
  • Started playing tennis
  • Adopted a kitten
  • Changed jobs
  • Took a babymoon to Aruba
  • Won an ALTA city championship
  • Had a baby
  • Became a SAHM
  • Published a book
  • Had a second baby
  • Sold our first house
  • Bought our second house

Plenty more has happened in that time (trips, illnesses, concerts, book launch teams, baby milestones, made friends, lost friends to moves, made more friends, weddings, funerals, finished with diapers/potty training, etc) but I wanted to hit the highlights. I also thought it'd be fun to share a little of what I've learned during this time. So, without further ado...


10 Things I've Learned in 10 Years of Marriage

1. Painting rooms and making pizza with your spouse can be more stressful than you might think.

2. Vacations involving children or additional family are actually called "family trips". Vacations are truly vacations when it's just you and your spouse.

3. My husband gives excellent work/job/business advice and my work life goes more smoothly when I take it.

4. Living in a different state from family for the first few years of marriage is a great way to establish your new family life.

5. Having and parenting children away from family is quite challenging and exhausting.

6. Becoming parents changes nearly everything (and eventually you adjust and are okay with that).

7. Finding activities you both enjoy doing together is a great way to have fun and strengthen your marriage.

8. Honest, respectful, loving communication is essential in a healthy marriage.

9. It's helpful to remember that you are on the same team and are for each other.

10. How in need of grace I am and how thankful I am to have a husband who is gracious toward me.



I would love to hear things others have learned in their years of marriage. Please share your thoughts in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment