Monday, September 5, 2016

August Book Review

School has been back in session for a month. This means new routines and activities which cut back on my free reading time. However, I still have evenings and some weekends to get some relaxed reading in. I only read two books in August but that's probably two more than many people. Below is the list along with my thoughts. To read previous months' book reviews, click on the month: January, February, March, April, May, June, July.

1. Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck by Jon Acuff


  I bought this book last spring when it came out because I thought it would be a useful book even though I wasn't currently (nor am I now) working in a paying environment (SAHM). I am now beginning the process of republishing my book and (hopefully) writing a second book. It's definitely the beginning of a potential career and I thought the book might be helpful.

  The book was VERY helpful. In it Jon talks about creating and/or building a Career Savings Account. He goes in depth on the four components: Relationships, Skills, Character and Hustle. I enjoyed taking stock of these components in my own life and seeing where I need to build up or strengthen.

  Reading through the book helped me think about what I will need (and need to do) to accomplish my goals. It motivated me to put in the work that will be required and gave me hope that I can be successful in my endeavors.

  If you are feeling kind of "blah" whatever your work situation, I would suggest checking out this book. It may motivate you to figure out why you are not enthusiastic in your current situation and help you take steps toward a more enjoyable work life.

2. The Fringe Hours: Making Time for You by Jessica N. Turner


  When I first heard about this book I was quite excited to read it and discover new ways I could fit in a little personal refreshment into my day. I especially wanted to figure out how to make time to work on writing - books, blogs, notes, etc.

  It seems kind of funny to think that I had to read this book during my current "fringe hours" in order to learn how to utilize them well. And actually, reading the book was a great use of my time. I found the book to be very practical and encouraging. It reinforced the importance of taking time for yourself to pursue passions and to rest/reflect/pray.

  The book has questions for reflection and response at the end of each section to help you think about how you can apply and make relevant to your own life the things discussed in each chapter. I think it's a great book for anyone who doesn't know how to find or make time for personal goals and endeavors in their current schedule.



I only read two books in August but I felt they were both geared toward helping me to work on my goals. They offered excellent advice about working smarter and making time for what's important to you. I would love to hear of any books you've read that are beneficial to achieving your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment