Friday, December 2, 2016

November Book Review

We just wrapped up November. I was right about a deficiency of reading time. I did finish three books which isn't too shabby. If you want to read previous months' book reads, click the appropriate link: JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugust,  September,  October.

1. A Light in the Window by Jan Karon


  This is the second book in The Mitford Series. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and was anxious to see how the story continued from the first one. It picked up with Father Tim returning from his Ireland trip and trying to get back into a routine at home. He is once again unsure how to proceed in his friendship with Cynthia while trying to help fix issues all around town. I was very anxious to learn what would happen between Father Tim and Cynthia. I love a good love story so I was strung along throughout the book to see if there would be a happy ending after all. The other characters in the novel are also very endearing and lovable and I wished the best for nearly everyone in the story (there's always a bad apple or two, right?).
  The story is very well spun and kept my attention throughout. I was sad to reach the last page, but encouraged that the next installment is already available at my local library. I have been assured that the entire series is as engaging and endearing and am excited about having so many more installments of the people of Mitford, North Carolina.

2. The Opposite of Everyone by Joshilyn Jackson


  I had read a short story by Joshilyn Jackson during the summer. I was looking for a currently-available book from the library to be able to read in bed and this is what I picked. It's about a woman named Paula living in Atlanta (I really do like books that take place where I live or have lived) who had a transient childhood with her single mother. She committed a grievous act against her mother as a young girl and has been attempting to pay restitution to her mother for the past decade and a half in hopes of finally receiving forgiveness from her. She receives a message from her mother that she is dying of cancer. Paula struggles to deal with this revelation when her previously-unknown half-brother walks into her life.
  The story shifts back and forth between present day and memories of her past. I really enjoyed the gradual filling in of her background and history to help the reader gain more understanding into the situation and Paula herself. I was quickly engaged in the story and anxious to see how it would be resolved. I really enjoyed the unfolding of the story. I would recommend this book for someone looking for an interesting fiction read.

3. Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out and Lonely by Lysa TerKeurst


  I had heard a lot of good things about this book. I had read Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions even though I don't consider myself driven by my emotions and found it very helpful for me in dealing with the emotions I do have. :-)  I have been feeling lonely a lot this year so it seemed like a book that would be right up my alley. And boy, was it. I had borrowed it from the library otherwise it would have been all marked up. Instead I took a bunch of photos with my phone of impactful sentences and paragraphs. There was so much excellent information, truth, and encouragement in this book I have not fully been able to process it. It definitely helped me to have a more enlightened and God-focused mindset on things I've been feeling and experiencing. I have hope that God will use my loneliness and rejection for my benefit and his glory. I already know that I am going to re-read the book once I acquire my own copy. If you struggle with loneliness or rejection, I would highly recommend this book. Even if you just want to be reminded of the benefit of drawing closer to God so that you can live loved, this book is also for you.


What did you read in November? I like to try to read at least one Christmas-themed book in December. Do you do that as well? Do you have any favorite Christmas book titles to share with me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment